Beans are a herbivores best friend – a cheap way to get your protein, they make dreamy burgers and bulk out soups and chilli. I know some of my meat-eating friends sometimes cast them aside in favour of other things but trust me, if there was ever a dish to make you appreciate the humble bean it’s this smokey salad. This is a very very quick recipe and it’s totally stolen from a Waitrose product, I have to admit. I don’t have a store near me but I tried this and fell in love so I had to figure out a way to make it myself. Luckily after a quick peek at their ingredients label it was super simple to recreate, but you’ll need to get your hands on some liquid smoke. This is the star of the show and really boosts the flavour to give it a chargrilled, smokey mexican feel.
You will need:
- cooked beans – I used canned as this is easiest, and went for kidney beans, black beans borlotti beans and butter beans
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke/smoked water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drain your beans and rinse them off, add a quarter of each can to a large mixing bowl depending on the size of salad you need. You can use the rest in a chilli, in burgers or to make some refried beans.
- Add half a cup of sweetcorn to your bean mixture
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato puree, vinegar, garlic puree, olive oil and liquid smoke – hold off on the maple syrup for now
- Add the paprika, chilli powder and mixed herbs to the liquid
- Toss the beans in the mixture until evenly coated, and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Use the maple syrup according to taste, this balances the edge from the liquid smoke, so add this last as you may not need it, or may need to add more depending on your preferences
This is the perfect dish to add to a BBQ table, or to serve over a salad to up the protein. It’s delicious and tastes amazing as a side with some bean burgers and veggie skewers, it’s even better the next day too!
Like this post? Share it!